From washing laundry by hand, drawing water from a well, and feeding chickens yesterday, we found ourselves harvesting potatoes today. We found out a farm nearby was having a "free gleaning day." They invited everyone in the area to harvest the rest of their potatoes, onions, beets, and carrots: FOR FREE!! Anytime that FREE word is part of an activity, count me in!
We had to drive about an hour to get to the farm, but the long ride in the car was more than compensated for in the bouncy hay ride to the field (J led the entire wagon in a rousing rendition of "Old McDonald's Farm) and the abundance of produce we brought home with us.
The whole family helped, even B. She picked up anything that looked like a potato, no matter how big or small; whether it was a potato, a dirt clod, or a rock, it went into the sack as far as she was concerned. We came away with quite a haul: 8 bags of yukon potatoes, 6 bags of red potatoes, a bag of very large yellow onions, and a bulging bag of beets. They were 10 lb bags, but I know we stuffed way more than 10 lbs in each of those bags.
We came home covered in dirt, but we had so much fun! Even M kept commenting on how much fun she was having. We had to drag K away from the field. It reminded me of those autumn days when I was a kid, following grandpa's tractor through his field picking up potatoes. I looked everywhere today but I couldn't find one shaped like Mickey Mouse's head though M found a small one that looked a little bit like a Boobah.
That does sound fun! And you know I love free! Next year, call me.
ReplyDeleteWow! That sounds fantastic! Wish we had that kind of "Free" opportunity here. I'm with you. If it's free, count me in.
ReplyDeleteThis event was even covered on the news in Utah. Sounds like so much fun!!
ReplyDelete