Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ticked

This post was going to show off my beautiful little Square Foot Garden. It has been a good summer, and I'm pretty proud of my garden patch. I've had some issues with the squash and cucumber, but the tomatoes and pumpkins were doing fabulous. I even have a 7 ft+ tall sunflower
"But wait", you say, "there is something odd about that picture. What is all that white stuff on the ground?! And why is M wearing that adorable, but totally out of season, ducky rain parka?"
You, my observant reader, have figured out why I am so angry. After all my hard work, sweat, tears, prayers, and even sleepless nights worrying about those darned squash, one freak midwestern hail storm has TICKED me off!!!
I had planned to take some pictures of my beautiful plants this afternoon, but instead you get this:

Ouch, ouch, ouch! I'm sorry to subject you to such carnage, but I'm sure you now understand why I am so upset. Only two redeeming points of this afternoon:
1) the tomatoes appear to have come through it relatively unscathed
and even more importantly
2) When M saw how upset I was, screaming and howling at the hail to JUST STOP!!, she suggested we pray. I was too mad to pray, so she prayed for it to stop and, wouldn't you know it, within 5 minutes the hail ceased. To have the faith of a child.

UPDATE
I just found out that our little hailstorm was actually the outer fringes of a tornado that touched down about 3 miles away. Now I'm feeling chagrined. I should be grateful I only have a few damaged squash plants and didn't lose my whole house. :S

3 comments:

  1. Oh man! I hope it skipped us. I'm too far away to do anything about it, even if we did get hammered. I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, I just heard there was a tornado out in your neck of the woods, too, so there is a good chance you were affected, too. I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your plants, but glad you are okay. I hope Jenny wasn't affected too much!

    ReplyDelete