I'm trying to get back into the mode I was in the summer I was pregnant with B. That summer I made a schedule for every day (up until B's due date): even if it was just a trip to the library or a play date with a friend for M and K. I felt so guilty that we did practically nothing last summer: A few play dates, trips to the library, but only a couple of "field trips."
I'm repenting this summer. I don't have the whole summer planned out yet, but I do have a plan. My RS helped me out this month by organizing a weekly outing. This week's trip was to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.
Before today, my favorite zoo in the whole world was the Santa Barbara Zoo. Now I am having some serious inner conflict. The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo rocks! Even with cool weather (mid-50s) and rain for the last hour of our visit, we all came home smiling. The animals even acted like they actually enjoyed being there. Happy hippos and giggling gorillas. The animal exhibits were perfect for kids: nearly all of them had some way to interact with the animals. Only 2 thin pieces of glass separated you from the gorillas and the bears' pad had a tank of water filled with fish right at the viewer level. They didn't dive in today, but you could imagine how much fun it would be to watch them go fishing. I could go on and on, but I'll end with this: feeding the giraffes whenever you feel like it (ie not having to wait around for a zoo keeper and then stand in line for 20 minutes only to be turned away just before your turn because the time is up).
The only thing that Santa Barbara Zoo has going for it that Cheyenne Mountain does not is all that glorious green space for picnics and running. This is quite a dilemma for me.: how do I choose??!!
Unfortunately, in my rush to get out this morning by 9am, I forgot to bring the camera. So, no pictures today (maybe one of the other mothers can forward me any they may have snapped of my kids?). But a couple of quotes:
Mom: Look, B, that is a meercat.
B: Meow.
(Looking at an animal (still don't know what it was) that looks like a cross between a deer, a cow, and a zebra)
K: It's a zebra. I love zebras.
Mom: No, that's not a zebra. I'm not sure what it is.
K: Oh, it's a new species.
Update: J just identified the "new species": it's an okapi.
That sounds like a lot of fun! I have also heard that the Colorado Springs Zoo is a fun and unique place to go...
ReplyDeleteCould the "new species" be okapi?
ReplyDelete