Monday, March 2, 2009

100 Things

My friend Emily had this on her blog, so I stole it from her since I haven't posted in a while and I can't think of anything really interesting to say today.

100 Things
1. Started your own blog- Yes, though I'm not very diligent about updating it... :)

2. Slept under the stars- Yes, I seem to remember enjoying it. Lately, though, thoughts of sleeping anywhere other than my own bed make me cringe. I guess I'm getting old. Mostly, I use the excuse that I don't want to juggle two toddlers in sleeping bags.

3. Played in a band- Yes. I played the clarinet from 7th grade to 11th grade.

4. Visited Hawaii

5. Watched a meteor shower

6. Given more than you can afford to charity- I'm REALLY cheap, so I think I always feel like I'm giving more than I can "afford", but it does feel good to know I'm helping other people.

7. Been to Disneyland- Several times. We really need to take K and B, but we're holding off until they are big enough to enjoy it and old enough to stay close to us without a leash (I HATE crowds).

8. Climbed a mountain- Yes. I love hiking. The most memorable "top of the mountain" experience was Mt. Daisen in Tottori-ken in Japan, on my mission.

9. Held a praying mantis

10. Sang a solo

11. Bungee jumped -NO, and I never will.

12. Visited Paris

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch

15. Adopted a child

16. Had food poisoning- Yes, and for that reason I will NEVER again eat at Pappadeaux. Even looking at the lobster bisque at Costco makes my stomach sieze up.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty

18. Grown your own vegetables- Yes, my thumbs are already itching for this year's crop...

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France

20. Slept on an overnight train

21. Had a pillow fight-Yes. Not recently, however. I should add that to my to-do list this week.

22. Hitch hiked

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill- Ahem, we call those "mental health days". :)

24. Built a snow fort- Yes and I'm sad it appears winter is already over here so we won't be able to do one this year. :(

25. Held a lamb - No, but I have held an orangatan.

26. Gone skinny dipping

27. Run a Marathon

28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice

29. Seen a total eclipse

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset- Yes, as often as possible.

31. Hit a home run

32. Been on a cruise

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors

35. Seen an Amish community

36. Taught yourself a new language - only if a computer language counts.

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied- Yes. As cheap as I am, it really doesn't take a lot to satisfy me.

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person

39. Gone rock climbing

40. Seen Michelangelo’s David

41. Sung karaoke

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt- Yes, on our honeymoon.

43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant - not IN the restaurant, but I once bought a hitchhiker a Subway sandwich.

44. Visited Africa

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight- Yes. Wishing I could do that again soon...

46. Been transported in an ambulance

47. Had your portrait painted

48. Gone deep sea fishing

49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling- Yes, snorkeling at Catalina Island.

52. Kissed in the rain- Yes.

53. Played in the mud- Yes. Another thing to add to my to-do list this week.

54. Gone to a drive-in theater- Yes. It makes me sad that this great American past-time is fading.

55. Been in a movie - Not a movie but I was on television three times in Japan.

56. Visited the Great Wall of China

57. Started a business

58. Taken a martial arts class: Yes, in college a roommate and I took a Kenpo class at 7am on Saturday mornings. Remember those early mornings, Mindie? :)

59. Visited Russia

60. Served at a soup kitchen

61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies - Yes, but not as a Girl Scout.

62. Gone whale watching

63. Got flowers for no reason - I only remember one time, before I was married.

64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma- I've donated blood several times (once just about a month ago).

65. Gone sky diving - Another NEVER-want-to-do item.

66. Visited a Nazi concentration camp

67. Bounced a check- Technically, not bounced, but I have gone on "check protection".

68. Flown in a helicopter

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy- My mother kindly saved most of my Barbies, my teddy bear collection, and the dolls she made for me (as well as their clothes). I always said I would save them for my children to play with, but now I find myself hording them away from sticky fingers and careless children because they are so special to me.

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial- Yes. I look forward to the day I can take my children there to learn about our country's history.

71. Eaten Caviar- I don't know if it's technically caviar, but I ate A LOT of fish eggs in Japan.

72. Pieced a quilt- My sister-in-law taught me how to piece a quilt
just this past year. I didn't do the whole quilt, just 2 pieces.

73. Stood in Times Square

74. Toured the Everglades

75. Been fired from a job

76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London

77. Broken a bone- Yes, I've broken my leg THREE times. This is why I've never been skiing and I avoid any activity where the chance of breaking a bone is likely.

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle- Yes, but never driven one myself. Unless you count my little red scooter I had in college. It couldn't go above 30 mph, though.

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person- Yes, but only from the top. I'd love to hike down into it.

80. Published a book

81. Bought a brand new car

82. Walked in Jerusalem

83. Had your picture in the newspaper - Yes. In High School I was on the "City Youth Court" and the local newspaper did a report on us.

84. Read the entire Bible- Yes. I admit I skimmed over Leviticus, but I have a goal this year to read it again.

85. Killed and prepared an animal for eating

86. Had chickenpox- Yes, when I was little my siblings and I all got it at the same time (except for one brother who still has never had it). I still feel so bad for my mom and that month or so she had to take care of us. Thank goodness for the vaccine!

87. Saved someone’s life- Our YW group made a trip to Bryce Canyon when I was 16. My younger sister was sliding down a steep incline towards a drop off and I pulled her back up. I don't know if I saved her life, but she definitely would have been hurt if she had continued to slide.

88. Met someone famous- I met Brandon Sanderson last summer. :). I also met that guy that played Jodi on the old series "Family Affair" when I was working at BYU at the information desk in the Wilk. He said he had joined the LDS church and was just looking around campus.

89. Joined a book club- Yes, the club in my ward in CA helped me to remember what it was like to read for fun. Now, my children are wishing I had never been reminded. I read WAY too much these days.

90. Lost a loved one- Yes, grandparents on both sides.

91. Had a baby- Yes, three adorable little girls.

92. Seen the Alamo in person

93. Swam in the Great Salt Lake

94. Been involved in a law suit - J was sued for one of the auto accidents he was in, but we never had to go to court: the insurance company settled it.

95. Owned a cell phone- I truly don't know what we did without them!

96. Been stung by a bee- Only once: I sat on one in the grass. YOWZA!! Even thinking about that memory makes me cringe.

97. Seen Mount Rushmore in person - Not yet, but we have plans to go this summer since it's less than 6 hours away. Anyone want to join us? :)

98. Learned to play an instrument- piano, clarinet

99. Sat on jury duty: No, everytime I get selected, I've been nursing so I got out of it.

100. Had a pet rat

3 comments:

  1. #88 is interesting. Johnny Whitaker's sister is one of my good friends and lives in our ward. He's been a member of the LDS church all his life (though not always active)! Small world though, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading these. Mine are posted on Facebook. If you become my friend you can read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #21 & 53 - did these get marked off your to-do list?

    Does #22 count if you never got picked up? Or if you accepted a ride from a stranger when you were planning on walking?

    Good to know #26 isn't on your "never will" do list.

    #75 Since I've done this 5 times, can I take a pass on 4 of the others? Like breaking a bone or being transported in an ambulance?

    ReplyDelete