Sunday, July 6, 2008

On the verge...

B has been very unique in her baby milestones thus far. She didn't sit up on her own until after her 6th month. She didn't roll over until nearly 8 months. She only started crawling in her 9th month and even then, it's not really a crawl. We call it the crippled baby crawl. She stretches one leg out like she's going to stand up on it and then she pulls her body along, dragging the other leg behind her. She goes pretty fast, though she has to stop frequently for course correction because she tends to go in circles since she is only using one leg. Kind of like rowing a canoe with one oar, I guess. I'll try to catch it on video and post it another time.

Neither of her sisters started walking at 12 months and they had more textbook dates on their milestones, so we were thinking for sure B would be a late walker. Just to prove us wrong, she started standing up on her own about 3 weeks ago. Not pulling herself up on furniture, but going to the middle of the room and just standing up. In fact, sometimes she'll position herself just out of reach of the sofa, stand up, and then reach out for the sofa when she starts to fall. For the first couple of weeks, she wouldn't get into a full standing position before falling over, but this week, she has made great improvement in her balance and is now working on seeing how long she can stand before K pushes her over. That's what sisters are for, right? To push you down when you get up.

Now, you know, just because I'm posting this, she's going to continue to just stand there and refuse to actually walk until 16 months...

I'm really into the slide shows tonight, so here's a quick glance at her amazing feat. Note the battle wounds all over her face. Those are from failed attempts to stand too close to furniture or door frames.

1 comment:

  1. How fun. I just love that stage of life. I'm so glad to be able to see your cute little girls. Thanks

    ReplyDelete