I've been thinking for months about starting a family blog. I have several friends who have invited me to read their blogs and I've been so impressed by their entertaining posts, their thought provoking discussions, and even their witty blog names. I thought, "I should do that. I can do that." But then, when it actually came down to creating my own blog, I was stumped at the first step: naming it. I wanted to find something that would express our family's personality but also be memorable and humorous, if possible. After several rejected names, I decided I should stop worrying so much about having a blog name that can leave a lasting impression. Some people just have a natural talent for wit, humor, and the ability to keep an audience. I have long known that I am not one of those people and it's time for me to stop trying to force it. The point is to create a place where I can document the cute things my children do with as little effort on my part as possible. I've tried to keep a journal but the best I can do is an entry after each of their births. I've done slightly better at the scrapbook thing, but I have to be in the right mood for that and lately I just haven't been in the mood.
So, without further ado, I now cut the ribbon on the opening of our family blog: the Glancy Times. I ended up going with the title I accidentally chose for the monthly (which really turned out to be quarterly or sometimes yearly) email updates I used to send. Now, I don't have to send an email every month (or feel guilty when I don't) to people who may or may not even care to know how adorable my children are. My hope is that I will have so much fun doing this, I might even update it more frequently, like even weekly. But don't hold your breath. Oh yeah, and don't expect it to be in the newspaper format I used before. That required just way too much creative energy and I have to use all my creativity right now keeping K occupied so she stops tipping B over every time I leave her sitting on the living room floor unprotected.
Great idea and post Libby. I hope this works out to keep everyone up-to-date.
ReplyDeleteNo big changes for DeAnn, me, and S & H. DeAnn is in her busy season for Stake RS, all wards having their ward conferences keeps her out of the house a lot.
I am on the Board for a new HAM radio club that supports the Church's communications efforts, www.SCIRA.net (shameless plug).
S just signed up for swim team again and spends too much time playing Wii (he disagrees of course!).
We will be signing H up for gymnastics soon, she loves to dance, sing, and smile. DeAnn is looking forward to next year when she will be attending pre-school.
Mike, DeAnn, S & H
I was so impressed by your old newspaper format, but I have to admit it looked time consuming. I don't blame you for abandoning it.
ReplyDeleteI think the Glancy Times is still clever. I have several friends who have started blogs and call them Smithblogpage or Smithfamilyblog or something fairly dull sounding. And then they title their blogs "Ordinary Mom's Blog" or some equivalent. What's so ordinary about being a mom, anyway?
Anyway, ranting done. You're awesome. Welcome to the blogoverse.